Product Design ManagerApply Now
- 👪 Family-Friendly 👪
- 💡 Entry to Mid-Level 💡
- 🏝 Company Retreats 🏝
- 🇺🇸 Anywhere in the U.S. 🇺🇸
- 💲Competitive Salary and Perks💲
Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate on Sketch files. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Shopify, Cisco, Intuit, Spotify, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is headquartered in San Francisco but many of our teams and roles are remote-first (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we’d love to hear from you!
Abstract is looking for a Product Design Manager to help lead our growing team. At Abstract we lead by serving our teams with empathy, knowledge, and coordination. Our design team is distributed within the U.S. and some International, so experience working remotely is a big plus.
In a typical week as a Design Manager, you will
- Get to know and help your direct reports by meeting with them one on one, setting goals, and facilitating feedback conversations to support their growth, career progression, well-being, and performance.
- Work with cross-functional management team and design director on initiatives to support and create a healthy, thriving, and inclusive organization.
- Help us improve and participate in attracting, hiring, onboarding, and retaining diverse design talent.
- Help lead staff meetings and facilitate knowledge sharing, collaboration, and decision making for designers.
- Work with cross-functional teams on continuous improvement to design process to ensure delivery of high quality results
- Work with Engineering, Product, and Marketing to ensure cross-functional alignment for projects.
Practical skills you’ll need for success
- People development. You have experience helping designers be the best designers and people that they can be and supporting them while they work towards their career goals.
- Empathy. You see your team members first and foremost as people with inestimable worth and you always operate from that basis.
- Servant leadership. Our teams thrive through coaching and enabling rather than getting directions. We strive to be supportive, patient, and people-focused.
- Strong communication. Our managers are primarily communicators, so you’ve got to be the kind of person who achieves success through effective writing and speaking.
- Organization. You’re someone who creates systems and structures to organize the information you’re receiving.
- Coordination. You’re someone who is good at connecting people to help them get their jobs done, and distributing important information across the organization.
- Distributed management. You’re excited to work within a distributed company and help a majority remote team excel and collaborate effectively.
- Design experience. You have professional experience as a Product Designer, and while this role does not expect you to jump into the pixels, you know what it takes to produce great design work.
- Identify and facilitate improvements to process as the design team scales and needs change.
At Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, including dental, vision, and life insurance. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care and health care FSA as well as commuter benefits for SF office employees.
To help employees plan for the future, we’re able to offer competitive pay and a 401k.
We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment for most roles. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
Though we’re a distributed team, we’re currently only able to hire US-based candidates.
As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check.