Creative Technologist, Design Systems
- 👪 Family-Friendly 👪
- 🏝 Company Retreat 🏝
- ✈️ Digital Nomad Friendly ✈️
We’re looking for an experienced technologist to join our growing design org on the Muriel team. Muriel is our design system — a single source of truth ensuring design quality and consistency across our products. You’ll collaborate with engineers and designers to ultimately help customers achieve their goals, contributing to Automattic’s mission and helping to make the web a better place.
Creative Technologists at Automattic combine design and engineering expertise into a single discipline. They are able to develop, prototype, and test innovative solutions that push our product teams forward on front-end engineering and inspire development teams and leaders to invest in new ideas.
What You’ll Be Doing
Objective #1: Drive the adoption of our design system, Muriel, through technical contributions.
- Design & Development: You’ll work directly on UI component design, development, and testing for our design system, utilizing your background in modern front-end technology, frameworks, and libraries. You have extensive experience using modern web development technologies, particularly React + Redux. You also probably have an interest or expertise in one or more areas of software development (e.g. server-side programming, native mobile, data science, data engineering).
- Document: You’ll create thorough documentation through contributions to the Muriel documentation site. You will create live examples for common use cases of components and groupings. Your focus on empowering others through your work helps you look for opportunities to improve the documentation around our tools.
- Collaborate: You’ll work as a key member of a multi-disciplinary design team, collaborating with designers to improve and refine user experiences. Your exceptional organization skills allow you to switch between different projects in a fast-paced environment. You’ll communicate visually, using sketches and diagrams to communicate ideas, architectures, and systems.
- Evaluate: You will work across products and development teams to assess technical feasibility, and overcome incompatibility in tooling and APIs.
- Design for All: You’ll assess the performance and impact of different solutions, including ensuring best practices are followed for component design. You have an eye for visual detail while maintaining code craftsmanship, and consider both end users, as well as internal audiences (designers and developers).
Objective #2: Help establish a culture of experimentation within the design and greater product org.
- Evolve Our Design Tools & Process: You will develop libraries and tools that allow designers and developers to quickly implement world-class design in our products.
- Experiment: You’ll explore possibilities and experiment with emerging design and creative technologies to understand the future of our craft and contextualize it for a wider audience.
- Grow Our Design Community: You will collaborate with other members of the design team by giving feedback to continually improve each other’s work, and the design process itself.
Have you done this before?
Do you have extensive experience building and improving design systems and other tools for internal product teams? Are you known for being able to move quickly and execute at a high-level?
If you’d like this to be your next challenge, send us your resume, a portfolio (if you have one), and answers to the following:
- Tell us why you’d be a good fit for the role.
- What is the design system accomplishment that you are most proud of?
We are lucky to receive hundreds of applications for every position, so try to make your application stand out.
We’re serious about growing diversity in the tech industry. We want to build Automattic as an environment where people love their work and show respect and empathy to those with whom we interact. Diversity typically includes, but is not limited to, differences in race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political and religious affiliation, socioeconomic background, cultural background, geographic location, disabilities and abilities, relationship status, veteran status, and age. To work on diversity means that we welcome these differences, and strive to increase the visibility of traditionally underrepresented groups. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.