Staff Writer (Health & Fitness Niche)Apply Now
Website Carb Manager
DC MEMBER The Dynamite Circle (the DC) is an exclusive community of more than 1,200 established entrepreneurs.
- 💡 Mid Level 💡
- 👪 Family-Friendly 👪
- 💥 Work for a DCer 💥
- 🏝 Company Retreats 🏝
- 🔑 Report to Founder 🔑
- 🚀 High Growth Potential 🚀
- 🗣 Native English Speaker 🗣
- 🗺 Anywhere in the World 🗺
- 💲 Competitive Salary and Perks 💲
You: A rare “unicorn” of a writer who can craft engaging, world-class content fit for a national publication, write technical documentation and maintain a knowledge base, and create and improve web, app, and email copy as needed.
Us: A fast-growing company with a top-15 health & fitness app that puts employees first, offering competitive salaries, benefits, perks, a small team environment, and a culture built around remote work.
It’s a match made in heaven!
Carb Manager is growing fast, and we’re looking for a world-class content creator and technical writer to help us become an authoritative voice in the Keto and low carb niche.
We’re not newcomers to Keto. We’ve been around since 2010 before Keto was the phenomenon that it is now. Fast forward to 2019, and Carb Manager is now the #1 diet and fitness app for people on low carb and ketogenic diets, available on iOS, Android, and the web. Altogether, we’ve helped over 5 million people lose weight and achieve their health goals.
This isn’t just another contract position churning out generic “filler” articles at $50 a pop.
We’re looking for someone who can produce world-class and share-worthy blog content as well as detailed technical knowledgebase content.
You’ll be a full-time employee at a fun company with competitive pay, benefits, and an array of perks. Your writing will be exposed to an audience of millions, across our sizeable email list, high traffic website, and large customer base.
If you’re as passionate about health & fitness as you are writing content that’s worthy of national, wide-scale publication, please read on!
We’re 100% bootstrapped and self-funded, and that’s allowed us to run the company our way, without answering to VCs or anyone else that doesn’t have a long-term stake in what we’re doing.
We’re a small team of around 15. We exclusively hire rock stars who are at the absolute top of their game. Our support team is no different and is staffed by success-driven professionals with years of experience who contribute to a variety of business initiatives.
Our company culture is fun and casual, with a strong “start-up” vibe. We chit chat and share GIFs and memes in our Slack channel on a regular basis. And we’re still in the early stages of putting processes in place and solidifying the way that we do things, so you’ll have the ability to make a major impact!
Our team is 100% remote. Our CEO and a couple of other staff are based in the Seattle area. The rest of the team is scattered around North America, Latin America, and Europe. Most of us work a normal schedule in our respective time zone, but there’s a fair degree of flexibility in choosing your exact hours.
About the Role
We’ve become a major player in the Keto industry; we’re frequently featured in major publications like Men’s Health, Women’s Health, and Reader’s Digest, and we regularly get unsolicited shout outs from influencers in the Keto and diet industry.
But until now, our blog and articles have been a bit of an afterthought; the quality hasn’t really captured the pivotal role that we play in the Keto and low carb world.
We’re ready to step up our game content-wise and become a thought leader in our industry, and we’ll be relying on YOU to help us get there.
You’ll be writing engaging and well-researched blog posts on a variety of Keto diet-related topics. We’re looking for long-form, in-depth articles that will help to establish our brand as a voice and an authority in our field.
If you’re familiar with Brian Dean and his “skyscraper content” method, you have an idea of what we’re looking for.
You’ll also be tasked with sourcing attention-grabbing images for our blog posts, as well as working with our designers to create illustrations, custom graphics, and infographics when needed.
In addition to writing for our blog, you’ll also lead the charge in maintaining our knowledgebase. You’ll work with the support team to identify articles that need to be written or modified. You’ll then be tasked with crafting accessible and accurate articles that help our customers to understand every facet of our app in an intuitive way.
This is a crucial role, with one foot in the marketing team, and one foot in the support team. As a result, you’ll have the opportunity to have a major impact in the areas of growth, retention, engagement, and branding.
You’ll be the first (and currently only) content writer on our team. You’ll be taking on a variety of writing tasks, and you’ll have the opportunity to really grow with the role and make it your own.
If you have an existing authority presence in the health and fitness industry, you’ll have the option of publishing under your own name, to further build your reputation within the niche.
In the unlikely event that content writing doesn’t fill your entire work week, we may ask you to work in a cross-functional capacity that could include pinch-hitting for the support team or assisting our marketing team with link outreach for SEO.
- Craft world-class, engaging, share-worthy blog posts and articles fit for an audience of millions that stand out and establish an authoritative voice in a crowded niche
- Conduct original research, interview industry leaders, and reach out to Keto personalities for quotes as needed for blog posts
- Format blog posts and articles for publication; source attention-grabbing images, and work with the design team to craft custom graphics and infographics
- Assist the marketing director with content marketing strategy, including keyword research, competitive analysis, and traffic analysis to unearth new blog topics. Set the content calendar. Drive strategy for social media sharing and influencer outreach.
- Write perfectly formatted, technical but not-too-dry knowledgebase articles that empower customer engagement and education
- Work with the support team to determine which knowledgebase articles need to be written or re-written
- Take ownership of knowledgebase; aim for continuous improvement using metrics that you’ll help to define
- Assist with SEO, mainly in the form of backlink outreach
- Assist the marketing team with writing and improving web copy as needed, with an eye to increasing conversions
- Assist the marketing team with writing email copy
- Create short e-books and lead magnets
- Assist the support team with answering tickets during their busy times or your slow times
- Rockstar writer and content creator who can blow us away with the quality of your portfolio
- Portfolio that includes examples of blog/article content, technical writing, web copy, and email copy
- Strong research skills
- Confident in working independently with minimal supervision; doesn’t need to be micromanaged
- Interest in health & fitness. Portfolio focused around the health & fitness vertical is a plus.
- Familiarity with and ability to write as an authority on the ketogenic diet
- Familiarity with basic SEO and analytics tools
- Native-level spoken and written English skills
- Sense of ownership and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Drive to continuously improve quality and systems
- Desire for a long-term, full-time position
- Cool, fun person with a sense of humor and who is just generally awesome to work with
- Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a remote team
Nice to Have
- You’re already an authority in the health & fitness space. For example, you have your own blog or YouTube channel; an extensive publication history under your own name; or social media accounts with large followings that are targeted to our industry.
- Four-year college degree
- Experience writing e-books or long-form content
- Any level of video skills. The ability to create screencasts for the knowledge base would be great. The ability and desire to become the face of our YouTube channel would be amazing.
- Meme lord who can keep our Slack channel interesting 🙂
- Able to work hours mostly compatible with a U.S.-based leadership team
What You’ll Get
- Full-time position
- A salary that matches your high skill level. We hire rockstars and pay competitively
- Health/Dental/Vision benefits
- 401(k) available
- Yearly company retreats
- Work from home or anywhere; digital nomad friendly
- Work on a small, high-performing team that’s seeing explosive growth
- Write a fun, engaging content every day. No boring, BS “fluff” pieces
- Work with the VP of Growth on a daily basis
- Direct access to the Founder/CEO
- Help to create and define your role
- Growth potential; the person hired may have the opportunity to help scale our growth team
- Paid subscriptions to any tools or services required to crush it in your role
- Free subscription to Carb Manager Premium if you’re into tracking macros 🙂
Sound like a fit? We can’t wait to hear from you!